King George Roscoe P-Coltrane the First

King George Roscoe P-Coltrane the First
Viva and Jerry, from Viva and Jerry's Country Music Videos, love our little (relative term) basset hound. Jerry thinks he swaggers like a king, so we all started calling him King George. This is the picture we took of george this year (his crown is from BK) that we framed and gave to Viva and Jerry as a Christmas present.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Where's the Music Scene?

Where have all the clubs (cowboys) gone?

When buying a home, I didn't expect to have to consider the music scene in my decision. In fact, buying in Minneapolis, I thought I'd be pretty much covered for all genres. When I lived at the U, there was the Quest, the Fine Line, First Ave/7th Street Entry, Triple Rock, etc. Now that we've moved in the only clubs we can find that play Punk are in St. Paul at the Station 4 and Woodbury (a suburb on the opposite side of St. Paul) at the Myth which is a huge venue and not conducive to punk concerts. So basically we moved as far away from the Punk clubs as possible. WTF!

And where did the Quest go? They had great concerts all the time! Now I am lucky if we get one every few months. Seriously, there are rumors of moving, fires, bankruptcy, where did it go? I didn't expect to leave Cincinnati, which has a strong following of Parrot Heads and country listeners to return to a city with a worse punk offering. I mean we saw some awesome bands while we were in Cincinnati by far the best was MXPX at the Mad Hatter. A rinky-dinky club/bar in Covington, KY where 100 fans basically got to experience an amazing band in a REALLY intimate setting. In fact, NOFX and No Use For A Name are playing at the Madison Theater in Covington on March 7th and I got to admit, I am kind of jealous.

Granted, the Drop Kick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Thursday, Senses Fail, and New Found Glory are coming in March, but they are all at the Myth, which is probably one of the worst venues ever - I'd rather see a concert in the Metro Dome parking lot. We saw Thrice and Alkaline Trio at the Myth and it was awful. I couldn't hear the lyrics, too dang much bass, we were packed in like sardines, it was too big, could barely see the band and did I mention fat sweaty gross smelly people kept bumping into me? Yeah, try getting stepped on and smashed into by a big fat sweaty smelly person for 3 hours we'll see how much you enjoy a concert.

Seriously, I just want a medium sized venue with a long list of good punk band concerts, is that too much to ask? Apparently it is in the cities.

No comments: