King George Roscoe P-Coltrane the First

King George Roscoe P-Coltrane the First
Viva and Jerry, from Viva and Jerry's Country Music Videos, love our little (relative term) basset hound. Jerry thinks he swaggers like a king, so we all started calling him King George. This is the picture we took of george this year (his crown is from BK) that we framed and gave to Viva and Jerry as a Christmas present.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Digs Studio

The newest and coolest store has opened in my neighborhood... ok, not MY neighborhood technically (technically its Kingfield), darn close though. Its within walking distance. In fact while it was under construction, George and I walked past on Saturday mornings and peered in the windows. We were impatiently waiting to see what it would become. It was worth the wait, it opened last Thursday and its pretty cool!

It's called Digs Studio. Its located at 3800 Grand Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55409. Its across the street from Victor's and next to the Grand Cafe.

They've got a ton of cool stuff. When you first walk in you are greeted by the "completed" projects that are for sale. For example, they have homemade cards, neat hand made jewelery, one-of-a-kind stuffed animals, etc. The jewelery ranged from beaded pieces to hand made pendents that were pieces of map -- I was tempted to buy the "Minneapolis" pendent. They also had these fun hand made stuffed animals that looked like kind of like monsters. I think they resembled some toys that were popular a year or two ago, but no kids -- so I don't know the name of the toys. They were fun and cute and they all had special original names. The cards were all so beautiful - they looked like the cards my mother-in-law make. She would totally love them, but then she wouldn't have anything to make. :) Which reminds me I totally have to take here there!

They also had project books. REALLY cool project books, like there was this one, that I am so going back for called "One Yard Wonders." I flipped through it and it had some ingenious projects, cute modern projects. Cute organizers, adorable little aprons, purses, dresses, ugh just so neat and they can all be made with one yard of fabric - Awe-Some! Did I say I am going back for the book? I am going back for the book, never mind that I haven't made anything out of the book my mother-in-law bought me (which I love as well, I've marked the projects I want to complete), or the fact that I really need to make something for my sister-in-law's baby boy who could show up at any moment but technically isn't due until October, or that I owe my sister a pillow of pink Badger fabric, that I promised her when she graduated from the UW two years ago... ok so, I have enough projects to keep me going without adding another one but I love books and I NEED it! I need to start sewing again first or my husband will give me the rolley-eyes when I buy it. Bless his heart he knows I don't need it but ehh, don't care. :) Another amusing book that I saw was a book on how to knit a replica of your dog, it was hysterical and when I saw they had a pattern for Bassets I was pretty much sold. They are all really cute! I think it would be a really neat project to do on the side -- knit people's dogs into personalized toys for themselves or their kids. If I had a little girl or boy I would totally buy a George look a like for them to snuggle with while they are snuggling with the real life George.

In addition to hand made pieces and books they have fabric, yarn, tools, antique buttons, ribbon, the list goes on! And everything is neat, unique and beautiful. Things that are too cool and too trendy to be found at your local Jo-Ann (Bleh!) Don't get me wrong, Jo-Ann is serviceable and has neat things but the patterns can be quite boring and blah. These fabrics were vibrant and beautiful. I just wanted to touch everything. The yarns weren't your standard Lion Brand or Red Heart yarns, although they did have Lion Brand Wool-Ease I believe but I actually really like Lion Brand yarn so I shouldn't poo-poo it. But the brands at the store seemed like they were neat independent shops with neat colors and unique textures. I know my sister Heidi, who as a Park Ranger, appreciates green independent products would love these yarns -- if only I can get her to visit from Kentucky. Hmm... or I can get her some for Christmas.

Speaking of gifts, all of my family can expect to get cards and gifts from this store. I was already considering something for my sister Tracy, but now that I think of it I can't remember what it was... Guess its time to go back and visit the store! If you can't tell I highly recommend this store if you like buying neat hand made gifts or if you like making neat hand made projects. This place will have the unique trendy fabric or gift you're looking for. Check it out!

No comments: