King George Roscoe P-Coltrane the First

King George Roscoe P-Coltrane the First
Viva and Jerry, from Viva and Jerry's Country Music Videos, love our little (relative term) basset hound. Jerry thinks he swaggers like a king, so we all started calling him King George. This is the picture we took of george this year (his crown is from BK) that we framed and gave to Viva and Jerry as a Christmas present.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

State shutdown? Let us know how it's affecting you...

So as with most days, I have two choices - get work done or read the articles on the Star Tribune's website. As you can imagine, since I am at work of course my decision was to load up the Star Tribune's website. When my computer pulled up the site, the first article I saw was "State Braces for Friday Shutdown." *Groan* Really?

OK, I won't go too much into the politics of it all because it just makes my head buzz -- don't get me wrong I vote and I know it is my duty to involve myself in politics because if I won't stand up for my own views, who will? But really -- as a late 20 something, I just kind of like to avoid those topics. Mostly because I am confident in my views, and I really don't appreciate my friends drunken discussions where they try to tell me I am wrong -- So, I just stay out of it!

So back to my making a point about not making a point. From my stand point, I am a very average Minnesotan who has a salaried position. As a salaried employee - If I have work to do to keep the company running, I am expected to get it done even if I have to stay late -- And I don't get paid to do it. (Thanks, sucky corporate America.) For this reason, I don't think our state legislature should get special treatment. They signed up for this job and they should be expected to get their work done, no matter the hours, in order to keep the company (government) running. The people who elected them have to, why do the elected officials get to be irresponsible? You cannot chance losing business or ticking off your customers. You have a job to do, get it done. Stop acting like whiny little children and make a compromise so that other people don't suffer. Because many Minnesota families WILL suffer because of their recklessness. I truly hope that voters hold these elected official responsible for what they didn't get done, because they shouldn't need or be allowed to have a special session.

Which brings me to my initial point... After glancing over the article about the shutdown I noticed another article where the Star Tribune asked readers, "State Shutdown? Let us know how it's affecting you." My first thought was, ha ha suckers! It's not affecting me! But then I realized how much a jerk I was being because it really will be hard on a lot of Minnesotans who count on the state for jobs/income, assistance, entertainment, etc. It sucks! Then I started to think about how many things it will truly affect -- And that's when I realized I was one of those suckers. Hey dummy -- you bought a car yesterday, how are you going to title it? *GROAN* Oh, I forgot about that.

The DMV website is already down and I have the title and Mike hasn't signed it and he's the person on it. Poo. There's no way we can get it done today and even if we could, can you imagine the lines? Uffdah! (Yep, that's my adopted MNan coming out.) Can you get insurance for a car you don't have a title for!? How long is our car going to be titled under someone else's name? -- This could lead to some serious issues!! So now I have some dilemmas - Stupid July, why'd you have to come so soon? I wonder how long the shutdown will last, there's no way it could last for more than a week or so, right? Yesh, despite my planner instincts, I just don't think I want to think about this one at the moment -- BACK TO WORK! (Please make note of the previous sentence, because you won't see that last phrase very often.)

- Emily

No comments: